About the Cathedral of St Stephen
The Cathedral of St Stephen is a living legacy of the vision, sacrifice and determination of those who handed on the faith to us. In 1843, a year after the Moreton Bay Penal Colony was declared an open settlement, Fr James Hanly arrived and gathered the 60 or so Catholic families together. Within a short space of time they had planned and built the historic Pugin Chapel which today sits beside the Cathedral. This chapel, blessed in 1849, is the oldest church in Queensland.
About the Fund
To provide the maintenance and to continue to provide faith opportunities for parishioners and visitors, we must create a sound financial foundation for the Cathedral. Gifts of all types and sizes are needed and welcomed by the Cathedral Endowment Fund and they will provide St Stephen’s with the stability and confidence to face the future as the centre of faith in the midst of a busy city.